The snow has started to fly and it’s time to review what it takes to be prepared and to be safe in winter weather. The National Weather Service Forecast Office at Riverton Regional Airport has compiled a list for Winter Weather Safety Week.
1. Car Kit Items (not inclusive)
2. If you MUST drive during Winter Weather…
3. Large Animal Safety
• Provide a shelter (and/or a blanket for more vulnerable horses).
• Provide plenty of dry bedding (Dry bedding insulates vulnerable body parts like udders and legs from the frozen ground and frigid winds.
• Windbreaks help lessen the impact of wind.
• Plenty of food and water.
• Observation. Look for early signs of disease and injury. Severe cold injuries and death primarily occur in very young or already debilitated animals. Animals suffering from frostbite often don't exhibit Pain. It may be a week or two before the injury becomes evident.
4. Generator Safety.
5. If a power outage is planned, be prepared.